Dan Ray

Use your Borders gift card now

Run for the Borders!

I told you back in January and now I really mean it: If you have a Borders gift card you've been meaning to redeem, do it now. Now. Let the dog walk himself. Skip the weekly lunch bunch. Tell your boss you have to leave early because you have to meet the sprinkler guy. Whatever. But go as soon as you can, either directly to the store, or online, and cash out that card.

Borders gift cards, like the stores, soon will fade away

Borders, the long-troubled bookstore, announced Monday it was ending its effort to sell off its assets and would begin liquidation under Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, with stores closing as early as Friday. The liquidation process will run through September.

For now, the company's websites still cheerily promise that its business operations continue as normal, but that's only because it hasn't updated the pages since it began to seek a buyer for itself. Borders' gift cards terms and conditions page online, for instance, hasn't been updated since last October.

So get in gear if you have Borders gift card. There are no guarantees how long it will be good, and every moment you wait, the pickings get slimmer. History says there's a chance another store may honor them in an effort to win the loyalty of former Borders buyers, but don't count on it.

We wrote a story in late 2008, as the recession was really deepening, about how to get the most from bankrupt retailers' gift cards, and the advice still holds. The most important advice: Act fast. There's likely to be a run on the Borders merchandise.

Guest said:

i want to use my gift cards

Nancy Hagman said:

How and where can I use my Borders Gift Card?

Dan Ray Author Profile Page said:

I know of no place that accepts Borders gift cards. The company has been liquidated. Its stores closed in September. Barnes & Nobles bought some of its assets, so I wrote into its customer service department today via its online interface to ask on your behalf whether it accepts Borders gift cards.
A customer service rep named Andrew wrote back to say, "We regret that we are unable to accept Borders Gift Cards as payment for Barnes & Noble online or in-store purchases."

Sorry.

E said:

thaaats messsed up man i had a $20 dollar gift card there and I spent forever trying to find out if I could use my borders card!! Wow thats soo weak

J said:

Oh boy! i had a $20 dollar gift card too! i dont want waste it :(....

Anonymous said:

I had $60+ in Borders gift cards and found out they were not excepting gift cards online about 3 days after they had stopped in late September of 2011 =(

Lane said:

I have a Borders gift card, as well. The only place I've seen that currently takes them is Amazon.com. At least that is what their site says.

I will put it to the test later today and report back,

Eduoard said:

I have a $ 25.00 Gift Card, and I feel like that was the cleanest robbery in the history of court proceedings and bankruptcy. Why didn't the court asked BORDERS to put that money aside for those gift cards? Who would know?

Soula said:

please...where can I redeem a 25.00 borders gift card

cheryl said:

Neither Barnes and Noble nor Amazon accepts the Boders gift cards. I can't seem to find any retailer that will take them at this time.

Dan Ray Author Profile Page said:

We warned readers to hurry and redeem the cards as soon as we heard about the looming bankruptcy, but I'm sorry that word didn't get to you in time. No, we have also searched and do not know of anyone who takes the cards.