5 wackiest credit card stories in the news
Between the credit crunch and the prevalence of identity theft, credit cards are frequently in the news. From time to time, however, credit cards result in odd and unexpected stories. Below are five of the wackiest recent credit card stories to hit the press.
1) Two male college cheerleaders in Utah have been nabbed for identity theft. The 18- and 19-year-old men allegedly stole the credit cards from two unattended purses and spent almost $1,000 at Wal-Mart and several other stores. They are facing 19 felony charges each and have been kicked off the Utah State University cheerleading squad for conduct unbecoming an Aggie.
2) An Iowa woman has been arrested and jailed for allegedly using a stolen credit card from a past employer to pay for three court fines. Using a stolen credit card to pay court fees doesn’t sound like the smartest idea to me. But hey, you can use your credit card these days to bail yourself out of jail!
3) It’s bad enough that Britney Spears, our favorite train wreck, has gotten into another car accident. It has been reported that she recently fled a Betsey Johnson boutique empty-handed when her American Express Centurion black card was denied. Was it because she was recently ordered a $1,500-a-week limit on credit and debit card use by a judge?
4) TMZ provides a list of purchases that appear on Kevin Federline’s credit card bills. Babys ‘R Us and booze. Priceless.
5) Kurt Cobain’s widow, Courtney Love, says someone used her deceased rocker husband’s Social Security number to buy a $3.2 million home in New Jersey last year, Perez Hilton reports. Love also says thieves have set up 188 — yes, 188 — credit cards in her name. Looks like she could use some legal help.